Sunday, September 20, 2009

In a time of Celebration!!!


In a time of Eid lots of memories come to mind, it make a man wonder how things changed in the last 10 or so years, I remember in my neighborhood how the first day of Eid was, it used to start with one person going to his next door neighbor to celebrate Eid, then both visit the next neighbor, and so on , there are around 100 houses in my neighbor hood, and the whole process to let everyone meet with everyone else took only 3 hours at the most , people even met on the streets while different groups are walking towards the next house it was really nice, simple and real.

Nowadays - And speaking for my self before anyone else- I went through a whole maze of virtual networks I did all the following:

1- I sent emails to all my contact wishing them a happy Eid.
2- I sent SMS's to most of my contacts on my mobile phone.
3- I set my facebook status to congratulate my friends.
4- I set my twitter to congratulate my followers for Eid.
5- I replied on threads and commented FB statuses for messages and statuses congratulations for Eid
6- I replied on message for those who I lost their numbers and sent messages to me so I had their numbers now.

all of this took hours and hours, we are all becoming broadcast centers, we are becoming too connected to meet , too arrogant to take the initiative to meet, and too social to spend a "God know how long I've been waiting for this" Vacation with the ones we really love, care about and cherish the most!. after listing all the points above I look and say " WHY???!!!" and the only answer th1at come to my mind is: Guilt, there is no more satisfying celebration more than being physically, Emotionally together, focused with each other.

Being a telecommunications engineer contradicts with what I'm saying...well no, Telecommunications is meant to ease people's lives in order to save time so we can be together more... am I right?

after all I wish everyone A happy Eid -- I know that was number 7 :) --

6 comments:

  1. well Adi, I first thank you for this article, am commenting as a friend and neighbor as well

    I think that what happened was a life changing technology which is available now to communicate.... cell phones, internet...etc. which means alot easier, faster and cheaper to use despite sometimes it takes along time as you said . Remmeber, that wasnt the case when we didnt have cell phones.... we have spoiled ourselves with these things thinking that they are enough for someone to communicate. we forgot the sentences like 'we are happy to see you' or' 'to drink a cup of arabic coffee with you '..etc. These values have been changed to seeing you by chatting and drinking coffee alone
    'nescafe'...
    Unfortunatly these great values are indications of the arabic culture and Islam which used to be our biggest advantage in the world of globalizim.
    Now, we dont have an Identity ! we are like a technology machines with no spirit.......
    Its kind of funny that both of us are telecommunication engineers, and talking like that ! you are right...........
    but this is today's world and this is its new technology...... like it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember that based on what the past shows us, yesterday is better than today in socializing and today is gonna be better than the future. a surprising behavior i noticed also, people including us, stopped giving importance to certain things like birthdays, holidays, or any related event. a couple of years ago, i used to care when someone says happy birthday to me, now i don't. and the reason behind this is simply the following: i stopped expecting people to remember my birthday because some (including my good friends) simply forget.. i too forget sometimes..
    the interesting part is to look at ancient times, when people didn't have anything to do and were living in the desert, what did they do? they were super social and poets. how many poets you think are traveling down the street nowadays? nearly none? maybe.. but why? coz of all the info we stuff our heads with that there is no time or energy to just relax our state of mind and say poems, same goes for socializing that takes time (like visiting).. plus, visiting makes you fat (of all the ma3mool you eat)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Very good topic. It's a shame how modern technology has prevented us from standing across from one another. Ppl rave about how Facebook has brought back their old college roommate, but they haven't seen their aunt in years! No logic there....
    Good to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you kathryn , Good to see you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting indeed!
    Best wishes from an Estonian living in Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saif: I guess irony is a part we can never neglect of our lives

    Rami: When was the world not falling apart my friend, I agree with you about that yesterday is better that today

    Pilland : Thank you so much Pilland, do you know How can I eat estonian smoked sprats?... i got a can and i couldnt find a way to eat it!!
    I hope you keep up with my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Bookmark and Share